- This is a description of the Task up to Work Plan Version 2.1. The task was then redefined, and the new description is available here.
- The following task description is reproduced from the Work Plan 2012-2015, Version 1.1. Information on updates of task leads can be found in the list of Task participants.
- Many of the activities are continuations of the activities started by ST-09-02. For details on this Task, see the extended ST-09-02 Task Sheet.
Promoting awareness and benefits of GEOSS in the scientific and technological communities in order to engage the research community in GEO and GEOSS with the goal to achieve breakthroughs in the understanding of the Earth's changing environment and global integrated Earth system. The scientific community should collaborate within GEO to address interactions between the components of the global integrated Earth system, and connect natural and socioeconomic sciences.
Activities will include: Forming links with major scientific research enterprises in each societal benefit area. Actively encourage relevant scientists and technical experts to contribute to GEOSS in a truly participatory way. Reach out to the world's diverse scientific and technological communities and make GEOSS more visible and attractive to them. Contact universities and laboratories to involve them in GEOSS activities. Organize a GEO presence at major symposia and other meetings, for example through plenary presentations or side events.
Advance GEOSS through integration of innovations in Earth observation science and technology, also
enabling the research community to fully benefit from GEOSS accomplishments. Promote research
and development (R&D) in key areas of Earth sciences to facilitate improvements to Earth observation
and information systems, and support the transition of systems and techniques from research to
operations. Engage with a wide range of science and technology communities including individual
scientists and their institutions, both public and private.
C1 Engaging the Science and Technology (S&T) Community in GEOSS Implementation
EC (FP7, GMES), USA (NASA), IEEE (email@example.com)
Implement the GEO Science and Technology Roadmap. In particular,
- Engage the science and technology community in the development of GEOSS: Develop a
framework for the transition of relevant research infrastructures to sustained operation. Encourage
the incorporation of new technology in observing systems. Assess the requirements for continuity
and long-term monitoring of essential data. Support state-of-the-art technology in the GEOSS
Common Infrastructure (GCI) and observation infrastructures. Promote registration within the GCI
of key scientific data sets
- Develop incentives for science and technology communities: Devise a GEOSS Data Citation
Standard, GEO Label, and portfolio of compelling examples illustrating the contribution of
Science and Technology to GEOSS
- Establish links to major science and technology organizations and research institutions: Establish
an interactive directory of major professional science and technology organizations. Inform
organizations about GEO and GEOSS, establish a dialog and foster cooperation between GEO and
major university networks
- Promote GEOSS in science and technology communities: Organize special sessions on GEOSS at
major meetings. Implement a web-based interactive tool for the planning and documentation of
GEO/GEOSS related presentations. Compile a slide library focused on science and technology
To Be Implemented in Connection with
All Work Plan Tasks
Resources Available for Implementation (tentative and preliminary)
- European FP7 project EGIDA (1 MEUR, 2010 — 2012)
- European GMES Research and Development projects
Access to Version 1 Documentation:
Outputs and Activities:|
INSTITUTIONS AND DEVELOPMENT
Science and Technology